[ippm] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-connectivity-monitoring-02.txt

gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com Tue, 13 July 2021 02:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:50:24 +0800
From: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
To: ruediger.geib@telekom.de
Cc: ippm@ietf.org, ippm-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [ippm] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-connectivity-monitoring-02.txt

Hi Rudiger,
thank you for the extensive and beneficial updates to the document.
I have a question about the use of the term "connectivity" in the draft. As I understand, as you've referenced earlier IETF document RFC 2678, "connectivity" is interpreted as an ability to transport a packet from one system to another. I agree that interpretation is often used in IETF documents. At the same time, in the field of fault management OAM, e.g., Ethernet CFM, we know of two mechanisms - Continuity Check (CC) and Connectivity Verification (CV). To illustrate the difference between them, I'll use the analogy of electrical wires. Then, CC verifies that a wire that connects circuits A and B exists and is operational. CV function is similar, but it verifies that if nodes are connected by red, blue, and orange wires, the red circuit receives electric current only from the red wire. If that is not the case and that state persists over a pre-defined number of consecutive checks, the state of misconnection is determined, and, usually, an alarm is raised.
As it appears to me, the term "connectivity" in the draft is not used in the same context as in the FM OAM. I think we can find a better term to characterize the metric discussed in the document.

Regards,
Greg Mirsky
Sr. Standardization Expert
预研标准部/有线研究院/有线产品经营部  Standard Preresearch Dept./Wireline Product R&D Institute/Wireline Product Operation Division
E: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
www.zte.com.cn