RE: [ippm] draft-shalunov-ippm-reporting-00.txt

"Schmoll, Carsten" <Carsten.Schmoll@fokus.fraunhofer.de> Thu, 20 April 2006 17:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [ippm] draft-shalunov-ippm-reporting-00.txt
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:59:06 +0200
From: "Schmoll, Carsten" <Carsten.Schmoll@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To: stanislav shalunov <shalunov@internet2.edu>, ippm@ietf.org

Dear Stanislav,

I read your draft and I think it is going in the
right direction. Some suggestions for the next
version from my point of view are:

* Motivation: should state some application areas, i.e.
  "why would a human user want to get those values" - e.g.
  'to check that IP telephony would be feasable with available QoS'

* please don't be offended, but I disagree on the traffic
  statistics you plan to apply to the traffic metrics.
  To me they seem to be quite unusual. see below:

* delay: I would suggest to use mean or a high percentile as
  I have never seen median delay to be used to report QoS

* loss: just a typo = per cent -> percent

* jitter: as far as I know the two common defintions are
  (high) percentile minus min delay across some interval
  (ITU approach) or min/max of IP delay variation, taken from
  the series of differences of consecutuve OWD values (IETF approach)

* duplication: just lacks definition of a default timeout value

* additionally I think two things will need to be added to the draft:
  a) mentioning about the size of the interval about which all
     those metrics are obtained and the fact whether this will be
     a sliding window or fixed time slots, e.g. new values each 10sec
  b) I'd personally like to see some "packet filter" added to the
     reporting record. Data might relate only to a fraction of all
     traffic, e.g. only to UDP or only to traffic from videos.fun.org

* additionally "availability" could be one metric
  (probably with param = (list of) server(s) or network)

* a small final note (not specific to the draft): when applying the
  ITU definition for jitter, then high percentile of delay and jitter
  are quite correlated, and just differ by the interval's min-delay.
  I cannot say if/how they correlate when the IETF definition (IPDV) is
used.

* one question from my side: how would you define/report the measurement
parameters?
  (i.e. the src/dst/network/path to which the reported delay/jitter etc.
applies)

With best regards,
Carsten.