[ippm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00.txt

Joachim Fabini <Joachim.Fabini@tuwien.ac.at> Wed, 14 October 2015 08:25 UTC

To: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
From: Joachim Fabini <Joachim.Fabini@tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:11:05 +0200
Subject: [ippm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00.txt

Dear IPPM,

Al and I have prepared and submitted a new draft that seeks to update
another important aspect of RFC2330: time and timestamps. Main topics
that the draft is supposed to to tackle include
- an accurate definition (and guidelines) for host time,
- a renaming of wire time (to account for wireless networks),
- a discussion of the consequences of virtualization onto measurements.

The document is currently in an _early_ stage, summarizing
timestamp-related topics that have been identified to require an update.
The main intention of the draft is to trigger discussions following the
presentation, including the identification of possible associated topics
to be included. We have asked for a timeslot to present this work at the
IPPM meeting @ IETF94. Any input and/or opinion (either in advance to
the ippm mailing list or following the presentation) is warmly welcome.

Background: As of today, 2330-based metrics are supposed to treat host
time variations (including the ones resulting from accessing timers at
distinct protocol layers) as "measurement uncertainties". In the light
of time-critical communications we believe that this is no longer
adequate and that metric definitions can benefit from a more
accurate/differentiated host time definition. Virtualized measurement
environments are an additional challenge. Concerning the consequences of
timestamp location selection for measurements, you can find some results
in the paper cited in the draft as reference (M2M communication delay
challenges - please drop me an email if you need a copy for personal use).

regards,
Joachim (on behalf of the authors)