Re: [ippm] Last Call: draft-ietf-ippm-more-twamp (More Features for the Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol - TWAMP) to Proposed Standard

Al Morton <acmorton@att.com> Sun, 17 May 2009 17:04 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 13:05:44 -0400
To: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, khedayat@exfo.com
From: Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: amanda.baber@icann.org, ippm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ippm] Last Call: draft-ietf-ippm-more-twamp (More Features for the Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol - TWAMP) to Proposed Standard

Joel,
thanks for your Sunday-morning comments,
please see proposed resolutions in-line.
Al

At 05:24 AM 5/17/2009, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
>Please find below the OPS-DIR review for draft-ietf-ippm-more-twamp
>performed by Joel Jaeggli.
>
>Please consider these comments together with the other IETF LC comments.

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, we would delete the first sentence and the words marked in the
paragraph above.

This tightens-up some text that we recently added to the draft.
We would be depending on the OPTIONAL designation of this
feature in section 2 (Scope) to cover the entire memo.

Your revisions work for me, does anyone else see a problem
with Joel's paragraph above?

>regarding 6.1 and 6.2 registry specification and management, 6.1 states:
>         "Thus, this registry can contain a total of 32 possible bit
>         positions and corresponding values."
>
>Certainly while there are 32 bits in the field, each has two states
>(e.g. 64) and the sum of the possible positions is significantly greater
>than 32 e.g. 2^32

TWAMP has inherited a partial set of bit position assignments,
and this memo assigns what is likely to be that "last" mutually
exclusive Mode/bit position (as a command from the Control-Client).

But Future Modes/bit positions will designate features that
WILL be used in combination with one of the four Security Modes.
And, if we start to run out of bit positions, the likely strategy
would be to use an octet or more in combinations.

>6.2 states:
>
>    For the TWAMP-Modes registry, we expect that new features will be
>    assigned using monotonically increasing bit positions and in the
>    range [0-31] and the corresponding values, unless there is a good
>    reason to do otherwise.
>
>at some future date values in the registry for some bit positions might
>be encoded in some more complex fashion.

Right. So let's allow that from the start.

6.1  OLD
    ... Modes are indicated by setting bits in the 32-bit Modes Field.
        Thus, this registry can contain a total of 32 possible bit
        positions and corresponding values.

6.1  NEW
    ... Modes are currently indicated by setting single bits in the
32-bit Modes Field. However, more complex encoding may be used in the
future. Thus, this registry can contain a total of 2^32 possible assignments.

---------------------------------
(the revision below also addresses Amanda Barber's LC-comment,
representing IANA)

6.2  OLD

Because the TWAMP-Modes registry can contain only thirty-two values,
and because TWAMP is an IETF protocol, this registry must be updated
only by "IETF Consensus" as specified in RFC5226 (an RFC documenting
registry use that is approved by the IESG). For the TWAMP-Modes
registry, we expect that new features will be assigned using
monotonically increasing bit positions and in the range [0-31] and
the corresponding values, unless there is a good reason to do otherwise.

6.2  NEW

Because the TWAMP-Modes registry can contain a maximum of 2^32
values, and because TWAMP is an IETF protocol, this registry must be
updated only by "IETF Review" as specified in RFC5226 (an RFC
documenting registry use that is approved by the IESG). For the
TWAMP-Modes registry, we expect that new features will be assigned
using monotonically increasing single bit positions and in the range
[0-31], unless there is a good reason to do otherwise
(more complex encoding than single bit positions may be used in the
future, to access the 2^32 value space).