RE: [ippm] comments on draft-ietf-ippm-multimetrics-03.txt

"STEPHAN Emile RD-CORE-LAN" <emile.stephan@orange-ftgroup.com> Wed, 27 June 2007 13:06 UTC

Subject: RE: [ippm] comments on draft-ietf-ippm-multimetrics-03.txt
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:06:27 +0200
From: STEPHAN Emile RD-CORE-LAN <emile.stephan@orange-ftgroup.com>
To: "Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com>
Cc: lei Liang <l.liang@surrey.ac.uk>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>, ippm@ietf.org

Hi Rüdiger,

Thanks for your comments.

See my answers inline.

This looks like a stream of delay variations experienced by the receiver R1: it is an end-to-end metric which looks like "Type-P-One-way-ipdv-Poisson-stream" defined in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3393#section-3.1.

> The second table may help to identify multicast tree sections inducing
> delay variations and constant delay more clearly (T0 = probe sending time,
> all numbers in [ms]).
>
> R1dT1     R1DT2     R1DT3    R1DT4
> T0+5        T0+7      T0+8     T0+12
> T0+7        T0+9      T0+10    T0+14
> T0+6        T0+8      T0+9     T0+13
>
> could also be expressed as
>
> R1dT1-T0    R1DT2-R1dT1    R1DT3-R1dT2   R1DT4-R1dT3   R1DT4
>    5             2              1             4              12
>    7             2              1             4              14
>    6             2              1             4              13

I apologize; I don't see where the multicast sections on the figure above are.

> Another point to be discussed would be the spatial distribution of packet
> loss. A packet loss close to the source of a multicast tree has a
> different impact than a packet loss close to a receiver. I can't provide a
> good proposal now and I respect that providing a "single" metric may
> collide with the aim of identifying the cause of a problem fast.

The draft defines spatial and multicast metrics. It does not mix these metrics to provide statistics for investigate the performance of a multicast tree. My thinking is that spatial distribution of packet loss in a multicast tree has to be build on the top Type-P-Spatial-Packet-loss-Vector.

Regards
Emile