Re: [ippm] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-elkins-ippm-pdm-metrics-00.txt

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Sun, 13 October 2013 13:15 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: Nalini Elkins <nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 14:38:31 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Sigfrido Perdomo <sperdomo@dtcc.com>, Bill Jouris <bill.jouris@insidethestack.com>, Ackermann Michael <MAckermann@bcbsm.com>
Subject: Re: [ippm] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-elkins-ippm-pdm-metrics-00.txt

Hi Nalini and all,

Here are a few comments on your IPPM draft. I've looked at some
of the background stuff previously, but some of those details may be foggy now.
Hopefully the questions below are clar.

regards,
Al

Early in the Intro, the various time/number fields are referred to as "base metrics" themselves.
I know you'll want to clarify that (they are just fields).

In section 1.2: in addition to time and seq number for current packet:

                 PSNLR : Packet Sequence Number Last Received
                 TSLR  : Timestamp Last Received

the device supplying the header appears to need to maintain flow state to add
these "last packet" fields. A very strong justification is probably needed.
Later, I see that the Server host essentially has to store the fields across
request-response pairs. Lower and higher layers need to work together,
somehow.

In Section 3.1 and 3.2, it's not clear which PDM time-stamps support the (round-trip delay
and server delay) metrics. When you look at  RFC2681, it should be fairly clear where
the time stamps are applied, and that needs to carry though here (though I see it later
in the example).

Looking at the example in section 4, there can be a significant delay between when
the application layer transfers packets to TCP's send buffer and when the packets are
actually sent "on the wire" (as we say in IPPM), which happens after the IP header is
applied (or most of the header, in some cases). How would accuracy be maintained
across all the different layers?

Maybe another way to phrase the question is this:
How does the process that adds the PDM header (with last Seq number 25) know
which packet to add it to?

I note that there is IPR declared on this draft, and licensing is not clear.