Re: [ippm] New draft on Advanced Route Metrics and Measurements

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Wed, 25 October 2017 00:19 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>
CC: "ippm-chairs@ietf.org" <ippm-chairs@ietf.org>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 00:19:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [64.201.95.59]
Subject: Re: [ippm] New draft on Advanced Route Metrics and Measurements

Hi Rüdiger,

Now addressing one of your previous comments:
> > - It is not clear how in-band-oam can be combined or used to complete
> > the advanced route metrics.  Especially the multi-domain and single-domain
> > measurement should be decoupled more clearly.

I think the methods of measurement have several parallel aspects:
  Active    Multi-domain
  Hybrid    Single domain  with  Interrogation Protocol (in-situ OAM)

Additionally, there can be active or hybrid tracing for
network technologies that are inherently single domain,
but the WG needs to discuss how far we expand the scope of work
for this memo.

OTOH, I've given some thought to combinations of
Active and Hybrid Methods, and there will be a
new section to set requirements that will simplify
the combination process. Some rules (with standards-track
terminology, as you suggested) will help.

regards,
Al