Re: [ippm] Advancement of metrics to standards draft

Al Morton <acmorton@att.com> Mon, 06 July 2009 19:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:09:01 -0400
To: Henk Uijterwaal <henk@ripe.net>, Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
From: Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: matt@internet2.edu, ippm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ippm] Advancement of metrics to standards draft

Ruediger and all,

Rather that write a long e-mail on this topic
(that few people will read), I wrote a short memo
(that few people will read). This memo is intended
as a background for discussion of some of the issues
Ruediger touched-on, and several new issues that occurred to me.
It is intended to help advance (not replace)
either the geib or bradner versions of the metrictest memos.

Whenever the advancing metrics topic comes up,
I've made a taken a position at the microphone that
may not have been fully understood. So, I've given-up
some of my holiday weekend and included details of my rant
in this short memo.  I hope it will be useful
to IPPM as we seek a way *up* the standards track that works.

Al

         Title           : Problems and Possible
Solutions for Advancing Metrics on the Standards Track
         Author(s)       : A. Morton
         Filename        : draft-morton-ippm-advance-metrics-00.txt
         Pages           : 11
         Date            : 2009-07-06

This memo identifies some issues with the process of progressing
performance metric RFCs along the standards track.  This memo takes
the position that the metric definitions themselves should be the
primary focus, rather than the implementations of metrics.  This
appears to allow some simplification of the task at hand and
subsequently leads to solutions for the issues raised.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morton-ippm-advance-metrics-00.txt