Community burnout (was: Micro issue in I-D boilerplate required by RFC 3978)

"C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com> Sun, 22 October 2006 18:04 UTC

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:04:01 -0700
From: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
To: IPR WG <ipr-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Community burnout (was: Micro issue in I-D boilerplate required by RFC 3978)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, John C Klensin wrote:
> [ ... ] IMO, the community has gotten burned out enough on these
> issues and discussions that the odds of someone who hasn't been
> involved in the WG giving a proposed new document a sufficiently
> fresh and close reading to catch the problems prior to document
> approval are slight.  Indeed, I think we have already proven
> that hypothesis.

I know that in the above John was speaking for himself, but those
words happen to speak for me also.

During the time I served as editor of the drafts that because the
MIB review guidelines (now RFC 4181/BCP 111), I was required to
track what was going on in this WG because it affected the document
I was editing.  The version of that document that was submitted in
August 2003 was nearly ready for last call, but a decision was made
to hold off publication because some of the document submission
requirements were expected to change as a result of the
deliberations of the IPR WG.  In June 2004 we had an update that was
compliant with RFCs 3667 and 3668, but because there had been
substantial changes, we elected to hold off last call pending actual
experience with the update.  In the meantime there was some more
churn in the IPR WG leading to RFCs 3978 and 3979.  We submitted
another version in February 2005 that was compliant with the
then-current AUTH-48 versions of those RFCs.  That version was
finally published in September 2005.  The change log in the
following draft can provide additional historical details.

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-04.txt

After that excercise I can assure you that I have had quite enough.
Fortunately for me, it will be some else's problem to deal with the
effects of the next set of changes in the MIB review guidelines that
will be required by the seeming endless changes in the IETF IPR
documents.

> I think it is time for either a break, some serious thinking
> about different ways to do this work, or both.

Indeed.

//cmh