Re: IANA-maintained MIB copyright question

"todd glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Fri, 02 March 2007 13:36 UTC

From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "Contreras, Jorge" <Jorge.Contreras@wilmerhale.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 05:36:30 -0800
Cc: Bill Fenner <fenner@gmail.com>, IPR WG <ipr-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IANA-maintained MIB copyright question

Jorge - doesn't the (C) belong at the bottom of this page and not the top?
Also this page is a tad twisted in that it talks about its own copyright in
the same language as what its trying to impart to the MIBS...

Not concerning those changes mandated by 4181, I would do something like
this
to make it clearer than what is at:
http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html now.

---
Orig:
---

Full Copyright Statement for IANA maintained MIB modules.

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

An IANA MIB module and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind, provided
that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included on all such
copies and derivative works. However, this MIB module itself may not be
modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice or references
to the Internet Society or other Internet organizations, except as needed
for the purpose of developing Internet standards in which case the
procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than English.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be revoked
by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS IS"
basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE IANA,  AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK
FORCE. DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TOANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT
INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE

---
edited:
---

Full Copyright Statement for IANA maintained MIB modules.

This Copyright Policy is effective as of: (Insert Effective Date)

All IANA MIB Modules are available for use under the following terms and
conditions, and all published versions of the MIB or derivative works must
bear the following three paragraphs of release language:

[...]

"Per its 'IANA MIB Copyright Policy' of (INSERT DATE), the Internet Society
et. al,
makes this MIB available under the following Fitness for Use Disclaimer:
This document and the information contained herein is provided on an 'AS IS'
basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE
DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO
ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY
RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE"

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003-2007). All Rights Reserved.

T.