Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipr-template-05.txt

"todd glassey" <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net> Wed, 18 June 2003 15:24 UTC

From: todd glassey <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net>
To: ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipr-template-05.txt
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:42:00 -0700
Sender: ipr-wg-admin@ietf.org

After reading the new disclosure template document "end to end" I have two
concerns,

    1)    That a document this detailed means that there is a responsibility
to create and maintain accurate information as to the patent licensing, and
I see this as a synopsis of the patent searches one would have to do anyway
so I am not in favor of creating yet-another-DB of data to maintain here
with the "no constituency" based IETF we have today...

    2)    It is inappropriate that the Informational and Release Drafts are
the same document. It is totally reasonable for anyone who has interest to
post informational notices to the IPR working groups collection of official
documents as to their concerns regarding IP's. The current model ONLY allows
for IP Owners to make declarations and that is probably a shortsighted
doing...

    #1 is an issue that this WG likely cannot fix and it needs to understand
that this is about law and process and not about technological method. So...

    And #2 is pretty much a "duh" kind of realization... so do with it what
you will.

Todd