Re: IPS: Schedule and Security Update

Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com> Wed, 15 August 2001 16:22 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:21:22 -0400
From: Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com>
To: Black_David@emc.com
CC: ips@ece.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: IPS: Schedule and Security Update
Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

David,

Given the newly being-proposed rekeying solutions, how does
"mandatory to implement" translate in terms of the iSCSI
clients (initiators), where the same box might have some
or all of the following :
(a) a host OS with IPSec stack from vendor A
(b) an iSCSI HBA from vendor B
(c) an IPsec accelerator from vendor C

Since the vendors are different, who "must" undertake the
fun stuff of changing IKE/SRP for rekeying ?   Part of
the answer may be dictated by performance needs & economics,
but in any case I am eager to hear the official interpretation.

This question may not arise in case of RAID boxes or filers,
where a single vendor would be responsible for the iSCSI
solution.

Second question : how would we run iSCSI over NAT if we are
to use transport mode ESP, given all the problems
pointed out by Aboba in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-reqts-00.txt

thanks,
-Sandeep