RE: iSCSI: nits on SRP text key lengths

Black_David@emc.com Wed, 10 April 2002 21:11 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
To: ni1d@arrl.net, ips@ece.cmu.edu
Subject: RE: iSCSI: nits on SRP text key lengths
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:11:05 -0400
Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

Careful - these keys have to be sent as text, not raw binary.
If a hex encoding is used, one gets 4 bits to the byte rather
than 8, so the current max would be 4096 bits.

Also the discussion of symmetric and asymmetric key lengths
in draft-orman-public-key-lengths-05.txt suggests that that
a 4096 bit limit might be prudent to give us some breathing
room going into the future (and one could use that draft to
argue for a significantly larger limit, but I won't).  I
recommend reading the entire draft (it'll be out as an RFC
soon), as it's very tempting to oversimplify this sort of
key length discussion, which has some subtleties.  For
example, one might think that if a 128 AES key were used
with IPsec, an equivalent strength IKE group (larger than
2048 bits) would be needed, but that is *not* necessarily
the case.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754