[IPsec] Adam Roach's Yes on draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 20 November 2018 06:27 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns@ietf.org, David Waltermire <david.waltermire@nist.gov>, ipsecme-chairs@ietf.org, david.waltermire@nist.gov, ipsec@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 22:27:41 -0800
Subject: [IPsec] Adam Roach's Yes on draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns/

COMMENT:

Thanks to everyone who worked on this document. It seems a very useful extension
to IKEv2. I have a handful of minor and editorial comments that you may want to
consider addressing.

Please expand "IKEv2" in the title and abstract. See
https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt for details.

§2.1:

>  To indicate support for Split DNS, an initiator includes one more
>  INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN attributes as defined in Section 3 as part of the
>  CFG_REQUEST payload.

I can't parse this. Is it mean to say "...one or more..."? Or is "attributes"
supposed to be "attribute"?

§2.1:

>  includes an INTERNAL_DNSSEC_TA attribute, but does not inclue an

Nit: "include"

§2.1:

>  An initiator MAY convey its current DNSSEC trust anchors for the
>  domain specified in the INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN attribute.  If it does
>  not wish to convey this information, it MUST use a length of 0.

As an implementor, I would have no idea whether this was something I wanted to
include. If it is configurable, then I would have no idea as an operator whether
how to set such configuration. Could we add some guidance here about when
implementations and/or operators might want to send this, and when they might
not?

§2.4.1:

>  The responder replies with two DNS server addresses, and two internal
>  domains, "example.com" and "city.other.com".

The domain "other.com" appears to be in active use by an organization known as
"Other Entertainment." Please consider using an example domain as described in
RFC 2606 section 2 or 3.

§2.4.2:

>  In this example, the initiator has no existing DNSSEC trust anchors
>  would the requested domain. the "example.com" dommain has DNSSEC

Nit: "...domain. The..."

§4:

>  For example, if the INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN attribute
>  specifies "example.com", then "example.com", "www.example.com" and
>  "mail.eng.example.com" MUST be resolved using the internal DNS
>  resolver(s), but "anotherexample.com" and "ample.com" SHOULD NOT be
>  resolved using the internal resolver and SHOULD use the system's
>  external DNS resolver(s).

The domain "anotherexample.com" is in use by a personal web site. The domain
"ample.com" is registered anonymously through Amazon.com. For this example that
needs to show a domain whose name is a subset of the indicated domain, please
consider using an example domain as described in RFC 2602 section 2.

§5:

>  DNS records can be used to publish specific records containing trust
>  anchors for applications.  The most common record type is the TLSA
>  record specified in [RFC6698].  This DNS record type publishes which
>  CA certificate or EE certificate to expect for a certain host name.

Please expand "CA" and "EE".

§5:

>  In most deployment scenario's, the IKE client has an expectation that

Nit: "scenarios"