Re: [IPsec] Start of WG Last Call on draft-ietf-ipsecme-eap-mutual (EAP-Only Authentication)

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Mon, 03 May 2010 10:00 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: 'Paul Hoffman' <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 13:00:30 +0300
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Start of WG Last Call on draft-ietf-ipsecme-eap-mutual (EAP-Only Authentication)

Can't compete with Martin's "running code", but I have a few comments. Before that, the draft seems good, and easy to follow. I think developers who have never heard of the IPsec list should have no problem reading and implementing this correctly. Having said that, here's two comments.

The introduction says this:
   In some environments, requiring the deployment of PKI for just this
   purpose can be counterproductive.  Deploying new infrastructure can
   be expensive, and it may weaken security by creating new
   vulnerabilities.  Mutually authenticating EAP methods alone can
   provide a sufficient level of security in many circumstances, and
   indeed, IEEE 802.11i uses EAP without any PKI for authenticating the
   WLAN access points.

The way this is phrased, it sounds like you need to deploy a full PKI for the gateway to show a certificate. Web servers do HTTPS without all this. They use either a relatively cheap commercial certificate or a self-signed certificate. The question is what value is there in the client verifying the certificate. With a self-signed certificate (or a corporate certificate) it's really a one-time leap of faith ("do you approve the fingerprint...") like with SSH servers. To do any better, you would need a full PKI with all computers pre-installed with the root trust anchor (or using TAMP). And if you have all that in place, you might as well issue certificates to users and skip EAP altogether.  So I would rephrase it as:

   In order for the public key signature authentication of the gateway to be
   effective, a deployment of PKI is required, which has to include
   management of trust anchors on all supplicants. In many environments,
   this is not realistic, and the security of the gateway public key is
   the same as the security of a self-signed certificate. Mutually
   authenticating EAP methods alone can...

Nowhere in the document does it say, why the EAP method needs to be key-generating. In fact, RFC 4306 says that it is recommended, but goes on to say what to do if the method is not key-generating. This document should make it clear why omitting the server-side signature changes things such that key generation has become crucial. The only thing I could find was section 6.1, which says:
   It is important to note that the IKEv2 SA is not authenticated by
   just running an EAP conversation: the crucial step is the AUTH
   payload based on the EAP-generated key.  Thus, EAP methods that do
   not provide mutual authentication or establish a shared secret key
   MUST NOT be used with the modifications presented in this document.
Why is it crucial?