[Ipsec] RE: draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-ah-algorithms-02.txt

"Vishwas Manral" <Vishwas@sinett.com> Fri, 31 December 2004 06:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:17:56 -0800
From: Vishwas Manral <Vishwas@sinett.com>
To: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: [Ipsec] RE: draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-ah-algorithms-02.txt
Sender: ipsec-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Donald,

@@@ I think draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3-09 should be changed.
I don't agree the draft draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3-09 should be changed.
The ESP document no longer requires the ESP only service to be there. As
Steve said, we should have change to SHOULD or even a MAY (conforming to
the ESP document). From the ESP document: -
            "
            - confidentiality-only (MAY be supported)
            - integrity-only (MUST be supported)
            - confidentiality and integrity (MUST be supported)"

@@@ I don't see why this document needs to list every algorithm/key-size
mentioned in any other IETF document. If there is consensus for
additional entries, I'd be happy to start a successor document.
I see no reason why we should not. Also if we do not want to keep
(MAY's) in the document, you may have to remove (NULL AUTH) from the
document altogether for ESP.

A very happy and fruitful new year to you!!

Thanks again,
Vishwas