[IPsec] IPsec with QKD

Rodney Van Meter <rdv@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Sun, 08 November 2009 04:17 UTC

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: ipsec@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 13:16:44 +0900
Subject: [IPsec] IPsec with QKD

Shota Nagayama and I have been experimenting with using keys generated
by quantum key distribution (QKD) devices to key IPsec tunnels.  (The
devices we used were borrowed from NEC, but we don't claim to
represent them.)

We have written an I-D on the protocol modifications necessary, and
are here in Hiroshima to discuss it.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-nagayama-ipsecme-ipsec-with-qkd/

For those who are interested, we have created a mailing list, which
you can join:

Products for QKD already exist, and various experiments are underway,
including a large one called SECOQC in Europe; the Japanese and U.S.
governments also have sunk a lot of money into QKD.  The European
effort, in particular, is committed to standardizing many parts of QKD
through the ITU.

Although the existing products do not yet support IKE/IPsec (to the
best of my knowledge, though things change), at least two
implementations already exist, ours and BBN's (as described in Chip
Elliott's SIGCOMM 2003 paper), as well as a recent paper by Sheila
Frankel and collaborators at NIST.  Now seems to be the time to create
at least an experimental RFC on the topic, to minimize confusion and
incompatibility; IETF, rather than ITU, would definitely be the place
to standardize the changes to IKE.  Although our protocol is
unfortunately incompatible with BBN's, Chip has encouraged us to
pursue an RFC.

At a protocol level, the changes are actually minimal; essentially,
the addition of two types of Payload Headers.  There may still be some
corners in the contents of messages and assumptions required to
guarantee security; we look forward to hashing some of those out in
person.

Please, track us down here in Hiroshima; Shota and I will both be here
until after the IPSECME meeting on Thursday.

		--Rod

Rodney Van Meter
assistant professor, Faculty of Environment and Information Studies,
Keio University, Japan
rdv@sfc.wide.ad.jp
http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~rdv/
http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/IRL/