Re: [IPsec] I-D Action: draft-nir-ipsecme-cafr-00.txt

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Wed, 14 August 2013 21:40 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: Valery Smyslov <svanru@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:40:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.31.21.77]
x-kse-antivirus-interceptor-info: scan successful
x-kse-antivirus-info: Clean
x-cpdlp: 11c70d9a6d65cb7677ca18b02951cdfc9cdbb5dfeb
Cc: "<ipsec@ietf.org>" <ipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] I-D Action: draft-nir-ipsecme-cafr-00.txt

Thinking it over, there is one significant advantage to what you're proposing. Suppose our exchanges are like this:

 1. IKE_INITIAL exchange
 2. IKE_AUTH exchange (for re-authentication)
 3. IKE Informational (for moving the Child SAs)
 4. IKE Informational (for deleting the old IKE SA)

#3 can then be run over the old IKE SA. The notification will have the IKE SPIs of the new IKE SA. And this makes the crypto unnecessary - the Notification could be simple the IKE SPIs, and the only verification necessary is that the authenticated identity is the same. We could even unify #3 and #4 into a single Informational, but it should be the initiator of the new IKE SA that sends it.

I think I like that suggestion.

Yoav