[Ipsec] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-kukec-ikev2-tutorial-additions-00.txt

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Sun, 18 February 2007 08:15 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:14:29 +0200
To: ana.kukec@fer.hr, ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: [Ipsec] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-kukec-ikev2-tutorial-additions-00.txt

Hi.

I'm copying the IPsec list, because I think that's the proper forum
to discuss your draft.

I haven't read it in full yet, but I have some comments about section
9 (Alice's request for internal address...)

The problem that is addressed by the CFG payloads is not that clients
need an IP address that belongs to the protected network. The
problems that prompted the development of MODECFG were of two kinds:
  1. A client has an IP address that belongs to the protected network.
  2. Two clients have the same IP address. This is usually an address
like 192.168.0.1, which both are assigned by a home router or other
NAT device.

In both cases you get a routing problem. If the IP belongs to the
protected network, the internal routers will not forward the packet
to the VPN gateway.
If two clients have the same IP, the VPN gateway will have no way of
knowing which client is the target of a packet coming from the
protected network.

Second point, Bob will usually not act as a DHCP client, but rather,
as a DHCP relay. If Bob is a DHCP client it will get an IP address
from the subnet where he already is.

Third point, I think RADIUS servers are installed for allowing the
use of passwords, with IP assignment being a side benefit (for
IKEv2). The wording of your explanation suggests that passwords are a
complication introduced by the RADIUS.

Another issue I would like to see addressed, is the interaction (or
lack thereof) between DHCP timeouts and the EXPIRY attribute in CFG.
Is it the job of the IRAS to periodically extend the lease, or is it
the job of the the client?