RE: Getting the features chart going

Stephane Beaulieu <sbeaulieu@TimeStep.com> Fri, 25 June 1999 21:05 UTC

From: Stephane Beaulieu <sbeaulieu@TimeStep.com>
To: Glen Zorn <glennz@microsoft.com>, Stephane Beaulieu <sbeaulieu@TimeStep.com>, Paul Hoffman / VPNC <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, vpnc-technical@vpnc.org
Cc: ipsec <ipsec@lists.tislabs.com>, ipsra <ietf-ipsra@vpnc.org>
Subject: RE: Getting the features chart going
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:46:38 -0400
Sender: owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com

> The alternatives to XAUTH/ISAKMP-config of which I'm aware
> are documented in
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-hy
> brid-auth-02.t
> xt and

Again, Hybrid uses XAUTH (and implicitly ISAKMP-Config)to accomplish legacy
authentication.  It also modifies the behavior of IKE, thus making IKE more
complex.

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-dhcp-01.txt;

This is a good alternative to ISAKMP-Config.  I have a few reservations
about creating specialty phase2 tunnels to configuration servers though.
However, it does solve the same problem as ISAKMP-Config in a pretty simple,
straightforward way and we can surely discuss the pro's and con's of both
drafts in order to attempt to arrive at a standard.

> there may be others.  The major benefits of L2TP over hacking
> IKE are pretty
> obvious, I think, but include _real_ interoperability, the use of
> well-understood protocols for both authentication and remote node
> configuration.  A more interesting question is why anyone
> would favor the
> invention of novel extensions to a protocol that is already
> far too complex
> over the use of widely-deployed, proven techniques.  I understand that
> firewall vendors have generally not implemented PPP, but
> building a basic,
> interoperable implementation of either PPP or L2TP is simple
> enough to be a
> college CS project.

IMHO, the introduction of ISAKMP-Config into IKE is **FAR** more simple than
implementing L2TP.