[IPsec] Robert Wilton's Discuss on draft-ietf-ipsecme-add-ike-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 27 April 2023 09:19 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipsecme-add-ike@ietf.org, ipsecme-chairs@ietf.org, ipsec@ietf.org, kivinen@iki.fi, kivinen@iki.fi
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 02:19:29 -0700
Subject: [IPsec] Robert Wilton's Discuss on draft-ietf-ipsecme-add-ike-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-add-ike-11: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-add-ike/

DISCUSS:

Hi,

Thanks for this document.

This should be a trivial discuss to resolve, and only flagging it as a discuss
because I think that it makes the spec unclear (or wrong):

(1) p 4, sec 3.1.  ENCDNS_IP* Configuration Payload Attributes

   *  IP Address(es) (variable) - Includes one or more IP addresses that
      can be used to reach the encrypted DNS resolver identified by the
      Authentication Domain Name.  For ENCDNS_IP4 this field contains
      one or more 4-octet IPv4 addresses, and for ENCDNS_IP6 this field
      contains one or more 16-octet IPv6 addresses.

Shouldn't this be zero or more IP addresses?  Otherwise, the example that only
contains a domain and no IP address appears to be invalid.

COMMENT:

Minor level comments:

(2) p 0, sec

   This document specifies new Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2
   (IKEv2) Configuration Payload Attribute Types to assign DNS resolvers
   that support encrypted DNS protocols, such as DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH),
   DNS-over-TLS (DoT), and DNS-over-QUIC (DoQ).

Are there any updates needed to RFC 9061 needed to cover manageability
aspects/updates of the attributes defined in this draft?  Note, I'm not
requesting that they be added to this draft, but instead, I want to check if
there is any need or plan to address them.

(3) p 2, sec 2.  Terminology

   Do53:  refers to unencrypted DNS.

This term only turns up a few (3 times) in this doc, and its not clear to me
that it improves its readability.  I didn't know what it meant, possibly just
referencing to "Unencrypted DNS" would be better for the wider audience?

(4) p 3, sec 3.1.  ENCDNS_IP* Configuration Payload Attributes

      -  0 if the Configuration payload has types CFG_REQUEST (if no
         specific DNS resolver is requested) or CFG_ACK.  If the
         'Length' field is set to 0, then later fields shown in Figure 1
         are not present.

I found this text unclear & confusing when combined with the following two
paragraphs.  I would suggest rewording the first sentence to something like:

   0, if the Configuration payload has (i) type CFG_REQUEST and no
   specific DNS resolver is requested or (ii) type CFG_ACK.

(5) p 13, sec Appendix A.  Sample Deployment Scenarios

Readability may be slightly improved by adding a sentence here to explain what
the purpose of this section is.

(6) p 14, sec Appendix A.  Sample Deployment Scenarios

   Enterprise networks are susceptible to internal and external attacks.
   To minimize that risk all enterprise traffic is encrypted
   (Section 2.1 of [I-D.arkko-farrell-arch-model-t]).

Would "SHOULD be encrypted" be better than "is encrypted"? Or, alternatively,
"Encrypting all internal enterprise traffic minimizes the risks of attacks
(Section 2.1 of [I-D.arkko-farrell-arch-model-t]).

(7) p 14, sec Appendix B.  Examples

I would suggest putting each of the two examples into its own subsection.

Nit level comments:

(8) p 4, sec 3.1.  ENCDNS_IP* Configuration Payload Attributes

      -  0 if the Configuration payload has types CFG_REQUEST (if no
         specific DNS resolver is requested) or CFG_ACK.  If the
         'Length' field is set to 0, then later fields shown in Figure 1
         are not present.
      -  (4 + Length of the ADN + N * 4 + Length of SvcParams) for
         ENCDNS_IP4 attributes if the Configuration payload has types
         CFG_REQUEST or CFG_REPLY or CFG_SET; N being the number of
         included IPv4 addresses ('Num addresses').

Possibly "(4 + 'Length of the ADN' + (N * 4) + Length of SvcParams)", and
similarly for IPv6, would be more explicit.

(9) p 5, sec 3.2.  ENCDNS_DIGEST_INFO Configuration Payload Attribute

   *  Length (2 octets, unsigned integer) - Length of the enclosed data
      in octets.  This field MUST be set to "2 + 2 * number of included
      hash algorithm identifiers".

For clarity, I suggest: "2 + (2 * 'number of included
      hash algorithm identifiers')"

(10) p 6, sec 3.2.  ENCDNS_DIGEST_INFO Configuration Payload Attribute

   *  Length (2 octets, unsigned integer) - Length of the enclosed data
      in octets.  This field MUST be set to "2 + 2 * number of included
      hash algorithm identifiers".
   *  Num Hash Algs (1 octet) - Indicates the number of included hash
      algorithm identifiers.  This field MUST be set to "(Length -
      2)/2".

I suggest, included 'hash algorithm identifiers'.

Regards,
Rob