RE: [Ipsec] Important changes in draft-hoffman-rfc3664bis; please review

Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi> Wed, 12 October 2005 13:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:47:56 +0300
From: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Ipsec] Important changes in draft-hoffman-rfc3664bis; please review
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org, paul.hoffman@vpnc.org
Sender: ipsec-bounces@ietf.org

Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com writes:
> The text should also say that for the purpose of algorithm
> negotiation, this PRF has a fixed key length.  In other words,
> the "key length" attribute is not included in the SA payloads.

I was about the send the same comment earlier, but noticed that the
Key Lenght attribute is defined to be used with Encryption algorithm,
not with PRFs, so there is not really specified way to tell what is
the PRF key lenght (i.e. the key length is taken from the actual
keying material fed to the PRF).

> BTW, there's text in IKEv2 -17 that has this wrong. Section 3.3.5
> says that
>
>    "The only algorithms defined in this document that accept
>    attributes are the AES based encryption, integrity, and
>    pseudo-random functions, which require a single attribute
>    specifying key width."
>
> Only ENCR_AES_CBC and ENCR_AES_CTR accept different key lengths;
> and since there's no specified default key length, the key length
> attribute MUST be included.
>
> But AUTH_AES_XCBC_96 [RFC3566] always uses 128-bit keys, and
> PRF_AES128_CBC always uses 128-bit AES internally (even with 3664bis).

That text in the IKEv2 has always confused me, is it so that for
example ENCR_CAST or ENCR_BLOWFISH cannot be used with any other key
length than the default, or is it so that key length is not needed if
it is default, but it can be given?

The text says that only algorithms defined that accept attributes are
AES, so that would indicate BLOWFISH or CAST cannot use Key length
attribute. I think the original text should have said that only
algorithms that REQUIRE key lengths attributes are the AES based,
others can use it but it is not required.
--
kivinen@safenet-inc.com