RE: Another field for traffic selector?

"Paul Knight" <paul.knight@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 12 March 2003 19:54 UTC

From: Paul Knight <paul.knight@nortelnetworks.com>
To: jeremy.de_clercq@alcatel.be, Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <Radia.Perlman@sun.com>
Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com, Marco Carugi <marco.carugi@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject: RE: Another field for traffic selector?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:34:09 -0500
Sender: owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com

Hi Radia and Jeremy,

I'll second Jeremy's support for this.  The need for including something
like a VPN-ID as a traffic selector has been discussed in at least two
individual drafts in the PPVPN WG:
- draft-knight-ppvpn-vr-protocol-00.txt (Protocol Actions for Virtual Router
VPNs)
- draft-duffy-ppvpn-ipsec-vlink-00.txt (Framework for IPsec Protected
Virtual Links for PPVPNs)

I would definitely support adding extensibility or flexibility to the
encoding of the traffic selector, since even for VPN-ID, there is still not
a universal format.  (RFC 2685 specifies 7 bytes; RFC 2547 has a Target VPN
or Route Target which is 8 bytes.)  I think the field should accommodate
these sizes when VPN-ID is used as a selector.  It may be possible to use a
smaller field, but the signaling to negotiate a smaller field and ensure its
uniqueness would probably be more burdensome than simply having a field
which can accommodate current VPN-IDs.

Draft-knight-ppvpn-vr-protocol-00.txt suggests:
   The Traffic Selector (TS) payload proposed in [IKE-V2] may be
   suitable for this purpose [carrying the VPN-ID].  The TS Payload
specifies address ranges,
   and thus does not appear to be a clear fit for specifying a single
   VPN-ID, but it may be possible to define an additional TS Type with
   semantics suitable for the VPN-ID.

Also, as a quick response to Sankar's question:
(How are the packets coming out of a tunnel verified to ensure they match
the negotiated virtual net? [....] Is Virtual net field expected to be part
of ipsec headers also?)

Yes, I think including a VPN-ID in the IPsec header is needed to map the
packets to the VPN.

Regards,
Paul

"The world is a jungle in general, and the networking game contributes many
animals."  - RFC 826