Re: [IPsec] IKEv2 Diffie-Hellman Elliptic curve mess (RFC4753, RFC5114, RFC4869, and draft-solinas-rfc4753bis-01)

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Mon, 21 December 2009 18:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:42:05 -0800
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org, Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] IKEv2 Diffie-Hellman Elliptic curve mess (RFC4753, RFC5114, RFC4869, and draft-solinas-rfc4753bis-01)

  No, you won't get "no proposal chosen" or "invalid KE" payload.
What you'll get, if you "guess" wrong, is garbage IKEv2 messages
because a different representation of the shared secret will be fed
into the prf that generates the keying material. That will not be
diagnosable. Things just won't work and the customer will get really
mad. And if developers aren't reading errata (as you claim) then I
seriously doubt that field engineers and support do either. So we're
looking at an RMA of a perfectly good piece of equipment.

  Your suggested fix does not actually fix the existing problem, it
just makes an unambiguous way to negotiate these groups using different
numbers. The same ambiguity will still exist for 19, 20, and 21.

  I think it would be better to fix the problem. You mentioned to Yoav
that EC groups are not used that much currently. So this is an opportune
time to fix the problem!

  Dan.