Re: [IPsec] RFC4307 & ENCR_NULL & USGv6 profile & Roadmap document

"Frankel, Sheila E." <sheila.frankel@nist.gov> Wed, 21 October 2009 13:28 UTC

From: "Frankel, Sheila E." <sheila.frankel@nist.gov>
To: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>, "ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:24:55 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "pasi.eronen@nokia.com" <pasi.eronen@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] RFC4307 & ENCR_NULL & USGv6 profile & Roadmap document

I interpreted RFC 4307 slightly differently than Tero does, and I stand by the wording of both the USGv6 Profile and the IPsec Roadmap. Although RFC 4307's domain is limited to IKEv2, it clearly specifies both those algorithms used within IKEv2 and also those algorithms that IKEv2 negotiates for use by IPsec. That is why there are 2 separate lists of algorithms: Section 3.1.1 (Encrypted Payload Algorithms) specifies those algorithms that are used BY IKEv2 in its Encrypted Payload. Sections 3.1.3 (IKEv2 Transform Type 1 Algorithms) and 3.1.5 (IKEv2 Transform Type 3 Algorithms) lists those algorithms that IKEv2 should be able to negotiate for use within IPsec/child SAs. One detail that supports this interpretation is the inclusion of NULL encryption in section 3.1.3 - clearly, this is not appropriate in the IKE Encrypted Payload. If the applicability of Sections 3.1.3 and 3.1.5 is limited to IKEv2 SAs, then there is no need for the more constrained list in Section 3.1.1, which clearly applies only to IKEv2's payloads.

Sheila