Re: [IPsec] WG adoptation call for draft-smyslov-ipsecme-ikev2-aux-02

"Tobias Guggemos" <guggemos@nm.ifi.lmu.de> Mon, 18 March 2019 17:02 UTC

From: Tobias Guggemos <guggemos@nm.ifi.lmu.de>
To: 'Tero Kivinen' <kivinen@iki.fi>, ipsec@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:02:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [IPsec] WG adoptation call for draft-smyslov-ipsecme-ikev2-aux-02

Hey all,
we have implemented the draft and found a few issues.
Overall, the separation of IKE_INTERMEDIATE and the
draft-tjhai-ipsecme-hybrid-qske-ikev2-03 is not clear in some points.

I personally like the idea of having a document on how to add a "pre-auth"
exchange to IKEv2, however we’ve found that the two documents depend quite
strongly on each other, which we found a bit of an implementation issue:

1. The draft does not say anything about payloads to be carried in the
IKE_INTERMEDIATE message (except SK payload), which means it could either
transfer "any payload" or "no payload".
>From a security perspective, I'd assume "no payload", which means the draft
specifies how to send an empty SK payload between IKE_INIT and IKE_AUTH,
where "empty" means encrypted padding.
So basically, we have a (standard-track RFC) document describing a message
which cannot (I'd almost say MUST NOT) be implemented without the
requirement to implement an additional document describing the payload.

2. On the other hand, IKE_INTERMEDIATE describes how to use previously
exchanged keys in order to secure (encrypt) the IKE_INTERMEDIATE traffic.
If IKE_INTERMEDIATE is there to describe the messages and not the key
exchange, I think the document should only say that the current key in the
IKE SA should be used.

I'm not 100% sure if especially point 1 is an actual issue for an IETF
document and if so how to solve it.
One idea would be to define a (maybe informational/experimental) document
like "how to add an additional pre-auth exchange in IKEv2", which can then
be used by e.g. draft-tjhai-ipsecme-hybrid-qske-ikev2-03 to define the
actual exchange.
Another idea would be to define a list of allowed payloads (e.g. by IANA
registry).

If the WG thinks that this is not an issue or can be solved after adoption,
we support adoption and we were about to show and discuss some details on
that (and other PQKE related stuff) in a presentation in Prague.
We just wanted to raise awareness and get a discussion on this (potential)
issue before the adoption call ends.

Regards
Tobias

so I