RE: AES draft query

"Linn, John" <jlinn@rsasecurity.com> Mon, 24 April 2000 19:45 UTC

From: "Linn, John" <jlinn@rsasecurity.com>
To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: RE: AES draft query
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:11:59 -0400
Sender: owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com

Last month, Hilarie wrote, excerpting:

> These issues are discussed in
> draft-orman-public-key-lengths-00.txt
> on which commentary is solicited.
>
> Hilarie

> Jesse,

> An RSA Laboratories paper with further
> analysis on
> key size issues is now being finalized for web publication,
> probably within
> the next couple of weeks; I'll post a citation when it's available.
>
> --jl

This is indeed an important area for consideration and discussion; my thanks
to Hilarie and Paul for their work on it in
draft-orman-public-key-lengths-00.txt. As another input, I'd like to point
out that the RSA Laboratories paper I forward-referenced earlier on this
thread, "A Cost-Based Security Analysis of Symmetric and Asymmetric Key
Lengths", by Robert Silverman, is now available on
http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/bulletins/index.html as Bulletin #13.
Among other aspects, it seeks to evaluate the costs of factoring attacks as
a combination of processor time and memory requirements; for example, its
comparison indicates that the NFS sieving phase for a 1024-bit number should
take 7 million times the processor effort as did RSA-512, on a network of
processors each equipped with 2650 times the memory needed for RSA-512
sieving, or about 170 Gbytes.

--jl