Re: [IPsec] iSCSI: IPsec requirements

<david.black@emc.com> Wed, 12 October 2011 16:58 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: mcr@sandelman.ca
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:58:10 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org, david.black@emc.com
Subject: Re: [IPsec] iSCSI: IPsec requirements

Michael,

Thanks for the response.

iSCSI is a rather stable protocol - existing implementations are expected to comply with this new spec with little to no change.  There is another draft in the storm WG that is making minor functional additions to iSCSI (given the number of years since RFC 3720, the amount of change needed is surprisingly small).

The new spec needs to normatively reference and update RFC 3723 (but there will be no 3723bis), so it sounds like the right approach is the following combination:

	- MUST implement IPsec, 2400-series RFCs (IPsec v2, IKEv1).
	- SHOULD implement IPsec, 4300-series RFCs (IPsec v3, IKEv2).

The MUST is for interoperability and to acknowledge what's out there; the SHOULD is to encourage implementers to move forward.  Now I need to go write the actual text to go into the draft.

Thanks,
--David