Re: [Iptel] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-rfc2806bis-06.txt]

"Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" <lwc@roke.co.uk> Tue, 13 April 2004 00:33 UTC

From: "Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" <lwc@roke.co.uk>
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, list iptel <iptel@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Iptel] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-rfc2806bis-06.txt]
Sender: iptel-admin@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:48:41 +0100

Hi Flemming, folks,
   I fully agree with Jonathon. Please let's avoid an IANA time trap.

I also sympathise with Flemming - this is fixing the symptom, not the
problem.
However... we know there's a problem; we know that the problem needs to
be fixed.
We also live in the real world (i.e. we're Engineers :), and I can't be
the only
one who believes that RFC2806bis is a major clarification - it's needed
NOW.

Thus, let's get this thing "out the door", and *in parallel* fix the
problem.

Do you really think that there will be a lot of parameter specification
RFCs
that "update" RFC2806bis? If so, then a future task (once IANA has been
taught
how to set up a registry in less than several years) could be to pull
in all
the updates and refresh with an IANA considerations section - but,
please,
don't hold this one hostage (and any that depend on it), unless that's
the intent.

all the best from an impatient
  Lawrence