Re: [Iptel] rfc 3966 BNF queries

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Tue, 17 April 2007 00:28 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [Iptel] rfc 3966 BNF queries
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:28:23 -0400
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: Eugene Seah <eseah@qualcomm.com>, iptel@ietf.org

I don't recall how and why this happened, but RFC 2806 (the
predecessor) had

phonedigit            = DIGIT / visual-separator

This would have allowed multiple separators in sequence.

I also checked the draft history, and the original version in

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iptel-rfc2806bis-00 and 01

has

honedigit            =  DIGIT [ visual-separator ]

which is close to what's being proposed. This changed to the current
format in -02.

The only change log entry is

Changes from ietf-00 to ietf-01

         o Editorial changes suggested by Francois Audet.

I also checked my mail folder and the IETF mailing archive around the
time 02 was issued, and there's no discussion on this feature that I
can find.

Personally, I don't see the need for multiple consecutive separators.

Henning