Re: [AVTCORE] RTP and UDP checksum=0

Philip Zimmermann <prz@mit.edu> Mon, 18 April 2011 08:52 UTC

Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] RTP and UDP checksum=0
From: Philip Zimmermann <prz@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 01:52:18 -0700
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: "draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-6man-udpzero@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-6man-udpzero@tools.ietf.org>, "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>

I think it should use the checksum field.  It is generally a bad idea for one layer to neglect its usual built-in error-checking duties because it assumes another layer will handle it.

Let me draw an analogy from the crypto world, we don't use weak 56-bit DES as our PGP keys because we assume that the email message will pass through a strong SSL tunnel, so why bother to work so hard to protect the message with strong keys in PGP?  We see to our own layer's security, without getting lazy and letting another layer handle it.  What if the other layer is not used?  What if the email is not passing through SSL?  Oops.

Every layer should try to look after its own obligations to protect packets.  If UDP was originally designed to carry checksums, we should generate them all the time in the UDP layer.

Just my two cents.