Re: RFC3484 problem: scoping with site-locals/ULAs

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Thu, 11 May 2006 06:49 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:41:07 +0300
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>, ipv6@ietf.org, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Subject: Re: RFC3484 problem: scoping with site-locals/ULAs

Hi Fred,

actually what you are suggesting could be very useful not only to
support this case, but also other cases where the peers have multiple
address with equal general characteristics but with different
reachability status. In particular, consider the multihoming case,
where two multihomed hosts want to establish a communication. In this
case, each of the peers have multiple addresses, associated with
different interfaces and/or different providers. In case that there is
an outage, maybe some of the address pairs used for the communication
are not working. In order to be able to establish a new communication
the initiator needs to try with different address pairs and see if they
are working. One of the options is what you mention below.
In the multihoming scenario we have identified that this is a problem
that need to be fixed (though as you mention it is not trivial to
solve). Actually, in the multihoming case, there is an additional
difficulty that different source address may have different reverse
path reachability status, so in order to actually establish the
communication, a host may need to try with different _source_ address
and different destiantion addresses.

Regards, marcelo

PS: in case that someone is interested, this problem is described in
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-bagnulo-ipv6-
rfc3484-update-00.txt