RE: RFC 2461- issue list

Soliman Hesham <H.Soliman@flarion.com> Fri, 24 October 2003 12:25 UTC

From: Soliman Hesham <H.Soliman@flarion.com>
To: 'Vijay Devarapalli' <vijayd@iprg.nokia.com>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: RFC 2461- issue list
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:53:36 -0400
Sender: ipv6-admin@ietf.org

Vijay,

thanks for raising this. A question below.

 > here is another issue.
 >
 > when a router includes a Prefix Information Option (section
 > 4.6.2 of RFC 2461) in the Router Advertisement, and if the
 > router has an address configured from that prefix, I suggest
 > including the router's address in the 'Prefix' field. not
 > just the prefix. the Prefix Length field will still indicate
 > the prefix length and hosts should be able to figure out
 > the prefix.
 >
 > we have had problems when two different interfaces of a
 > router use the same link local address. some host
 > implementations just check the source address and assume that
 > the current router is still reachable even when they move
 > between links attached to the two interfaces on the router.
 >
 > we came across this issue at Connectathon 2002. the following
 > URL has some discussion on it
 >
 > http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue278.txt
 >
 > Mobile IPv6 already defines a Modified Prefix Information
 > option where the router's address is present in the prefix
 > field. I would like to see it in the Neighbor Discovery
 > specification itself. having the global unicast address in
 > the prefix field will help in movement detection.

=> This sounds like an issue that is currently solved
by using the R bit specified in MIPv6, right?
If so, and since this issue is specific to MNs, do you
think it needs to be considered again in this work?
In other words, is your suggestion that we add the support
for the R bit in the revised spec?

Hesham