Proposed M&O bits text for RFC2461bis

Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com> Tue, 21 March 2006 19:37 UTC

From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:36:18 -0600
Subject: Proposed M&O bits text for RFC2461bis

Hi,

At the Vancouver meeting we discussed clarifying the use of the M&O
bits in Neighbor Discovery Router Advertisements.  I made a proposal
to drop <draft-ietf-ipv6-ra-mo-flags-01.txt> and instead to just
change the text describing the M&O bits in <draft-ietf-
ipv6-2461bis-06.txt> along the lines as Thomas Narten suggested on
the IPv6 list.

The current M&O text from Section 4.2 "Router Advertisement Message
Format" <draft-ietf-ipv6-2461bis-06.txt> is a follows:

    M              1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag.  When
                   set, it indicates that Dynamic Host Configuration
                   Protocol [DHCPv6] is available for address
                   configuration in addition to any addresses
                   autoconfigured using stateless address
                   autoconfiguration.

    O              1-bit "Other configuration" flag.  When
                   set, it indicates that [DHCPv6lite] is available
                   for autoconfiguration of other (non-address)
                   information. Examples of such information are DNS-
                   related information or information on other servers
                   within the network.

The proposal is to replace this text with the following text.  Note,
this is same as what was proposed at the meeting with the addition of
the note at the end as was suggested at the meeting.

    M :
        1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag.  When set, it
indicates
        that addresses are available via Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol
        [DHCPv6], including addresses that were not configured via
stateless
        address autoconfiguration.  Clients SHOULD use DHC to obtain
addresses
        (and associated configuration information) as described in
[ADDRCONF].
        Note that when the M bit is set, the setting of the O bit is
        irrelevant, since the DHC server will return "other"
configuration
        information together with addresses.

    O :
        1-bit "Other configuration" flag.  When set, it indicates that
        [DHCPv6lite] is available for autoconfiguration of other (non-
address)
        information.  Examples of such information are DNS-related
information
        or information on other servers within the network. When set,
         - If the M bit is also set, clients SHOULD use DHC to obtain
           addresses (and associated configuration information) as
described
           above.
         - If the M bit is not set, clients SHOULD use DHC as
described in
           RFC3736.

       Note that if M and O are not set, clients SHOULD NOT not
request any
       information with DHC.

I also reviewed <draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-08.txt>.  I didn't find
any mention of the M and O flags in the RFC2462bis draft.
Consequently, I don't see any need to modify that draft if we adopt
these changes for RFC2461bis.

Comments.

Bob