RE: Last Call: 'IPv6 Router Advertisement Option for DNS Configuration' to Experimental RFC (draft-jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery)

jjeong@cs.umn.edu Fri, 30 June 2006 14:37 UTC

From: jjeong@cs.umn.edu
To: pekkas@netcore.fi, jinmei@wide.ad.jp
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:36:59 -0500
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Last Call: 'IPv6 Router Advertisement Option for DNS Configuration' to Experimental RFC (draft-jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery)

Hi Pekka and Jinmei,

I agree with you at the security issue related to "S flag" for the open
RDNSS service. So I would like to add the following text to the next
version of my draft:

In page 6,
OLD:
        S             1-bit "Service open" flag.  When set, it indicates
                      that RDNSS(es) in the option can be available for
                      IPv6 hosts when they are detached from the origin
                      subnet where they obtained the RDNSSes.  This flag
                      SHOULD be set only if the routers or firewalls in
                      the network allow DNS Query messages to be routed
                      to the destination RDNSS without being filtered
                      out, and the RDNSS is configured to perform
                      recursive queries for all hosts regardless of
                      their addresses.

NEW:
        S             1-bit "Service open" flag.  When set, it indicates
                      that RDNSS(es) in the option can be available for
                      IPv6 hosts when they are detached from the origin
                      subnet where they obtained the RDNSSes.  This flag
                      SHOULD be set only if the routers or firewalls in
                      the network allow DNS Query messages to be routed
                      to the destination RDNSS without being filtered
                      out, and the RDNSS is configured to perform
                      recursive queries for all hosts regardless of
                      their addresses.  Refer to Section 7 (Security
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      Considerations) for the security issue related to
                      S flag.
                      ^^^^^^^

In page 10,
NEW:
7.  Security Considerations

   When the RDNSSes are open to any hosts with "S flag", they might be
   used as reflectors on DOS attacks [14].  In order to prevent such DoS
   attacks from the hosts using spoofed source addresses, the ingress
   filtering can be applied for the source IP addresses of DNS Query
   messages [15].  The locally roaming hosts can be provided with the
   recursive DNS resolution service within an administratively managed
   network, such as company network and campus network, with the ingress
   filtering based on the source IP addresses of DNS Query messages.  To
   provide the globally roaming hosts with the recursive DNS resolution
   service, the TSIG-based authentication can be used for authenticating
   the hosts [14][16].

   [14]  Damas, J. and F. Neves, "Preventing Use of Nameservers in
         Reflector Attacks",
         draft-ietf-dnsop-reflectors-are-evil-01.txt (Work in Progress),
         June 2006.

   [15]  Ferguson, P. and D. Senie, "Network Ingress Filtering:
         Defeating Denial of Service Attacks which employ IP Source
         Address Spoofing", BCP 38, RFC 2827, May 2000.

   [16]  Vixie, P., Gudmundsson, O., Eastlake, D., and B. Wellington,
         "Secret Key Transaction Authentication for DNS (TSIG)",
         RFC 2845, May 2000.

Thanks.

Paul