Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-rfc6434-bis-08: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Tue, 03 July 2018 23:19 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: Robert Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>, ipv6@ietf.org, draft-ietf-6man-rfc6434-bis@ietf.org, bob.hinden@gmail.com, 6man-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-rfc6434-bis-08: (with COMMENT)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 16:19:05 -0700

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-rfc6434-bis-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rfc6434-bis/

COMMENT:

Rich version of this review at:
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D4050

I see you are using a mix of lower case and capital normative
language. Do you want to converge that?

COMMENTS
S 1.2.
>      we have the following definitions:
>
>      IPv6 node   - a device that implements IPv6.
>      IPv6 router - a node that forwards IPv6 packets not explicitly
>                    addressed to itself.
>      IPv6 host   - any node that is not a router.

Nit: any IPv6 node.

S 5.1.
>      field as defined in the IPv6 Flow Label specification [RFC6437].
>      Forwarding nodes such as routers and load distributors MUST NOT
>      depend only on Flow Label values being uniformly distributed.  It is
>      RECOMMENDED that source hosts support the flow label by setting the
>      Flow Label field for all packets of a given flow to the same value
>      chosen from an approximation to a discrete uniform distribution.

Is there a reason you are using "approximation" here?

S 5.2.
>      to the action to be taken when a Next Header value in the current
>      header is not recognized by a node, that action applies whether the
>      value is an unrecognized Extension Header or an unrecognized upper
>      layer protocol (ULP).
>
>      An IPv6 node MUST be able to process these headers.  An exception is

"these headers" == "extension headers"? I guess it's clear in context
from the title...

S 5.3.
>      A host MAY impose a limit on the maximum length of destination
>      options or hop-by-hop options extension header.  This value should be
>      configurable and the default is to accept options of any length.  If
>      a packet is received and the length of destination or hop-by-hop
>      options extension header exceeds the length limit, then the packet
>      should be silently discarded.

This is a WG decision, but experience with other protocols suggests
that language like this has the implicit effect of banning anything
outside these limtis.

S 5.7.2.

>   5.7.2.  Minimum MTU considerations
>
>      While an IPv6 link MTU can be set to 1280 bytes, it is recommended
>      that for IPv6 UDP in particular, which includes DNS operation, the
>      sender use a large MTU if they can, in order to avoid gratuitous

Can you be clearer about "large"?

S 5.12.
>      receiver of the packet echoes the congestion indication to the
>      sender, which can then reduce its transmission rate as if it detected
>      a dropped packet.
>
>      Nodes that may be deployed in environments where they would benefit
>      from such early congestion notification SHOULD implement [RFC3168].

How would I know if I have such a node?

S 13.
>      key management approach of IKE.  This document updates that
>      recommendation by making support of the IPsec Architecture [RFC4301]
>      a SHOULD for all IPv6 nodes.  Note that the IPsec Architecture
>      requires (e.g., Section 4.5 of RFC 4301) the implementation of both
>      manual and automatic key management.  Currently, the default
>      automated key management protocol to implement is IKEv2 [RFC7296].

What does "default" mean in this case?