Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6874 (3630)

t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> Fri, 24 May 2013 15:37 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Subject: Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6874 (3630)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:31:24 +0100
Cc: Christian Huitema <huitema@microsoft.com>, ipv6@ietf.org

---- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Sweet" <msweet@apple.com>
To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
Cc: "Christian Huitema" <huitema@microsoft.com>; <ipv6@ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:10 PM
> Tom,
>
> On 2013-05-24, at 4:00 AM, t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> wrote:
> > Michael
> >
> > I would have been happy to see your erratum rejected in 24 minutes,
> > because it is an abuse of process.  It's a bit like submitting an
I-D in
> > Swahili, nothing wrong with Swahili but quite wrong for the context.
> >
> > Erratum are for errors, where the text did not mean what the WG had
> > agreed on, where the grammar is wrong, not English, where the text
is
> > being misinterpreted.
> >
> > Changes to the function require an I-D.  Having had that pointed out
> > you, and you might well have not realised the meaning of an erratum
in
> > the context of the IETF, other SDO may work differently, yet you
persist
> > in submitting errata; I hope that future ones are rejected as
quickly.

> First, I *have* submitted errata before, both technical and editorial,
for basically all of the IPP specifications, and most have been accepted
as posted.  In some cases the technical errata clearly change the
meaning of the original text because the original text was plainly
wrong.  This is ALLOWED by the currently published process on the RFC
Editor's page (which also notes it is a "slippery slope"...):

>     http://www.rfc-editor.org/draft-rfc-editor-errata-process-02.txt
>
> I don't say this as an excuse, merely as explanation, and I don't know
whether IPP's special status (PWG maintained) or my status (IPP
Designated Expert) within the IETF has anything to do with the latitude
that has been granted WRT my errata.

> As for discussing errata in the relevant IETF WG prior to submission,
I was not aware of any formal process in this regards and apologize if I
have upset you by starting with the errata reports.  The process
described in the above link implies that reporters start on the web
portal to initiate such a discussion with the relevant working group,
and the standards development process documents that are readily
accessible from the IETF web page say nothing about errata or the errata
process:

>     http://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html
>     http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026
>
> I can also report that the RFC pages do not provide links to the
relevant working group or mailing lists, and that the mailing list links
on the main IETF page all take you to the message archives and not to
the list subscription page (which I had to search for with Google...)

> So again I apologize if I did not follow the process, but honestly I
thought I *was*.

Michael

No problem; my defensiveness is because I see the Area Director as the
critical resource in the IETF, and raising an erratum tweaks their tail
in a way that an e-mail to a WG list does not.  Some with an issue to
raise find and start with the main IETF list, where do I go with ...,
and someone will always point them to the right area or WG.

There is nothing wrong with raising an erratum as a first step when it
falls within the IETF's use thereof; it is fine to raise an error if it
really is an error.  In this case, you are referencing an RFC which,
like most such, was extensively discussed on a number of lists, so a lot
of people put a lot of effort into producing what you now see, so to say
it is wrong, well, that may not be the best way to get support for
amending it.

However, if you start with the RFC, by looking at the RFC-Editor pages,
then the summary screen for RFC6874 tells you that the source is 6man,
and clicking on that anchor takes you to a wiki for a Working Group,
6man in fact, which has a list of current work, archives and a charter,
which contains details of how to join the mailing list for 6man.

I did not know this until five minutes ago, but I expected that there
would be a way to make the connection and indeed, there is.

Could it be clearer?  Can't think of anything offhand.

Meanwhile, I don't understand the errata:-(  yes I get the gist, but do
not see the protocol sequence that causes you grief.  Perhaps spelling
it out in a longer e-mail to the 6man list would be a good step forward.
At the back of my mind is the inkling that this may fly in the face of
the IPv6 architecture, that ZoneIDs were carefully defined to have a
limited scope and that what you want to do is in violation of that.
Time will tell.

Tom Petch

PS I have always loved the term RFC; this is not a standard that the
IETF has produced, carved in tablets of stone, but the best that the
IETF has managed to produce so far and would LOVE to hear from anyone
with a better idea, it is a Request For Comments:-)

> (For reference, the PWG process for errata has direct reporting to the
relevant workgroup, and that workgroup is identified in every document
we produce...)

> > When I-Ds are urgently required, then they can become RFC in six
months,
> > but that only happens when the correct processes are followed.
>
> I'm glad to hear that is possible.  Aside from IPP Everywhere, the
in-review Wi-Fi Direct Services Print specification is also affected and
in fact depends on IPv6 Link Local addressing.

<bob.hinden@gmail.com>;
<rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>

<huitema@microsoft.com>

> > The errata process is not the way to handle this. You have to go
through
> > the motions: write a draft, submit it, get consensus...

Behalf