Re: Question for IPv6 w.g. on [Re: IPv6 Type 0 Routing Headerissues]

Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org> Sun, 06 May 2007 12:21 UTC

Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 13:21:58 +0100
From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
To: Darren.Reed@Sun.COM
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Question for IPv6 w.g. on [Re: IPv6 Type 0 Routing Headerissues]

Darren.Reed@Sun.COM wrote:
> Solaris 9/10 ships with IPv6 processing of the routing header disabled
> by default:
>
> # ndd /dev/ip6 ip6_forward_src_routed
> 0
>

> ...and Solaris only implements processing for RHT0.
>
> Solaris 8 appears to be the only one with it enabled by default.

Although that is a partial step in the right direction, when the machine
is used for forwarding packets, it still allows these packets to be
forwarded.

As such, when forwarding, the host still forward these malicious packets
and even though this host on your network is correctly configured, other
networks and hosts, which are not active enough in updating their
configurations will make your host still be a part of a nice DoS attack
as it will forward the malicious packets.

Of course, when Transits filter them out these packets will be limited
to the networks on the edges, which then usually is their own problem.

The current Linux and FreeBSD patches also only _DISABLE_ processing,
they still forward these packets on.

I am recording all the implementations and how they handle RT0 on:
http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=filters
for updates/changes/comments etc, of course don't hesitate to yell.

Greets,
 Jeroen