Re: Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-11

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Wed, 21 October 2020 23:40 UTC

From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Subject: Re: Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-11
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
Cc: "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis.all@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:35:41 -0300

On 21/10/20 18:59, Dave Thaler wrote:

>>> That depends on whether a non-default Valid Lifetime is configured.
>>> My meta-point is that this paragraph would benefit from a discussion about
>>> the upgrade effects, like we're now discussing here.
>>
>> Fair enough. Would it be okay to address this in the Security
>> Considerations Section, as opposed to Section 4?
>
> My opinion is that this point is different from security considerations
> (which is a separate point), it's more "upgrade considerations" since the
> point here is that simply upgrading might cause a battery drain if you
> have things configured in a particular way.  No attacker is involved.
> Security considerations are for things that are about attacks or mitigations.

Oops! Looks like I misunderstood you. -- I thought you were portraying
this issue as a security issue (rather than an upgrade issue). So let me
proposed the following text instead:

---- cut here ----
RFC4941 employed a randomized temporary Interface Identifier for
generating temporary addresses, such that a set of temporary addresses
configured at a given time (for multiple SLAAC prefixes) would employ
the same Interface Identifier.  Sharing the same IID among multiple
address allowed host to join only one solicited-node multicast group
pero temporary address set.

This revision requires that temporary addresses configured for different
SLAAC prefixes employ interface identifiers that are statistically
different from each other. This means that when a network employs
multiple prefixes, each temporary address of the set will result in a
different solicited-node multicast address, and thus the number of
multicast groups that a host should join becomes a function of the
number of SLAAC prefixes employed for generating temporary addresses).

Thus, a network that employs multiple prefixes may require hosts to join
more multicast groups than in the RFC4941 case. If the number of
multicast groups is large enough, a node may need to resort to setting
the network interface card to promiscuous mode. This would cause the
node to process more packets than strictly necessary, and might have a
negative impact on battery-life, and on system performance in general.

We note that since this document reduces the default TEMP_VALID_LIFETIME
from 7 days (in [RFC4941]) to 2 days, the number of concurrent temporary
addresses per SLAAC prefix will be smaller than for RFC4941
implementations, and thus the number of multicast groups for a network
that employs, say, between 1 and threee prefixes will be similar than
for RFC4941 implementations.

Implementations concerned with the maximum number of multicast groups
that would be required to join as a result of configured addresses, or
the overall number of configured addresses, should consider enforcing
implementation-specific limits on e.g. the maximum number of configured
addresses, the maximum number of SLAAC prefixes that are employed for
auto-configuration, and/or the maximum ratio for
TEMP_VALID_LIFETIME/TEMP_PREFERRED_LIFETIME (that ultimately controls
the number of concurrent temporary addresses per SLAAC prefix). Many of
these configuration limits are readily available in SLAAC and RFC4941
implementations. We note that these configurable limits are meant to
prevent pathological behaviors (as opposed to simply limiting the usage
of IPv6 addresses), since IPv6 implementations are expected to leverage
the usage of multiple addresses [RFC7934].
---- cut here ----

?

BTW, should this be incorporated into Section 4, or elsewhere?

Thanks!

Regards,
--
Fernando Gont