RE: draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost

John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com> Mon, 21 March 2016 14:33 UTC

From: John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com>
To: "Mudric, Dusan (Dusan)" <dmudric@avaya.com>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:33:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.27.173]

Hi Mudrik,
RFC 7429 https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7429/?include_text=1 provides a description of how distributed mobility management works currently (and the gaps). Chapter 4 outlines the current practices.

ND runs as it does in other environments.  In a simple PMIP case, the router in old link detects (NUD) or is told by other signaling (tunnel establishment) in new link that the host is now attached at new link. In this case, there is no tunnel between router-host. The tunnel is in between MAG and LMA (in this case new router is MAG, old router is LMA - anchor node). Other scenarios are outlined in RFC 7429.

Some further responses (responding to inline qns as well):
Based on your descriptions below, I understood you are proposing a different ND mechanism for the MN1 at the new point of attachment. Please see my comments/questions inlined.
>> Its not a different ND. The proposal is for a PIO prefix cost suboption (as per draft: IPv6 Prefix Properties", draft-korhonen-dmm-prefix-properties-04  -- ref [7]). When used here, it would show a low cost in its old link, and a higher cost if the MN is much further away at the new link - e.g., a long backhaul/tunnel between the new MAG/LMA.
Its not a new protocol/or 2 NDs - just a simple extension to ND/PIO, which is understood by routers/hosts capable of processing this extension.
RE(inline qn): lifetime - MN uses the ND/NUD mechanisms to extend lifetime at the router to which it is attached.

Can the prefix cost be used by MN1 on L1 to select between two reachable paths? How will that impact SASA on multi-homed hosts? To me this prefix cost should somehow be part of SASA.
>> I assume that SASA is referring to source address selection - RFC 6724? If so, I agree. It would not interfere with the selection rules in section 5 - rather, the cost would be one further criterion. We need to define this better in the draft, and will do so.
Multi-homed hosts are even more interesting as this represents useful choices to the MN. Asking mif wg to review this draft as well.

The router in old attachment point has context that allows it to indicate that the address is being used. In the DAD procedures, old attachment router will respond with duplicate address in the DAD procedures.
[Dusan] So, MN1 at the new point of attachment will not receive DAD NS and respond with NA saying it is already using the address?
>> Correct.

BR,
JOhn