Re: IPv6 PD

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com> Mon, 31 July 2006 12:15 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:15:49 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
To: timbeck04@verizon.net
Subject: Re: IPv6 PD

timbeck04@verizon.net wrote:
>> From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com> Date:
>> 2006/07/28 Fri AM 10:34:22 CDT To: timbeck04@verizon.net Cc:
>> "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>,
> <ipv6@ietf.org>
>> Subject: Re: IPv6 PD
>
>> timbeck04@verizon.net wrote:
>>> Hi Fred/all,
>>>
>>> The former subject line became far too unwieldy, and the subject
>>>  of IPv6 referred to in the attached exchange is of interest.
>>>
>>> IPv6 PD is between two routers, not a router and an end host.
>>> Using ISP parlance, the delegating router is the ISP PE
>>> (delegating) router and the requesting router is the CE router.
>>>
>>> The abstract of RFC 3769 which defines the IPv6 PD requirements
>>> says: "This document describes requirements for how IPv6 address
>>>  prefixes should be delegated to an IPv6 subscriber's network (or
>>>  "site")." Section 1 echoes this point. It's logical to infer
>>> from Section 4 that the CPE is the requesting router (not host):
>>> "A rogue PE can issue bogus prefixes to a requesting router."
>>>
>>> Given the way RFC 3633 is written, there is reason to pre-suppose
>>>  that the client will behave as a router. In DHCPv6 PD, the ISP
>>> router that serves as the DHCPv6 server is the delegating router.
>>>  The CPE that serves as the DHCPv6 client is the requesting
>>> router (Section 3). Section 5.1 illustrates an example
>>> architecture wherein this is shown. The point is also made that
>>> the requesting router subnets whatever prefixes are delegated to
>>> it and assigns those longer prefixes to links within the
>>> subscriber network.
>>>
>>> a. There has neither ever been nor is there now a standard
>>> defining ICMPv6 PD. There are however at least three expired
>>> drafts (of which I am aware) on the subject: i)
>>> draft-haberman-ipngwg-auto-prefix-02.txt ii)
>>> draft-bykim-ipv6-hpd-01.txt iii)
>>> draft-arunt-prefix-delegation-using-icmpv6-00.txt
>
>> Doing it with Mobile IPv6: draft-ietf-nemo-prefix-delegation-00
>> August 2005.
>
> This draft is expired. Are there any plans for reviving/resubmitting
>  it?

Frankly speaking I don't know.  It was heatly debated at some point,
because another draft was proposing prefix delegation with DHCPv6
between HA and MR draft-ietf-nemo-dhcpv6-pd-00 (DHCPv6 instead of MIP6).
  And since then not any was progressed, and they are both WG items.  I
think somehow the authors lost interest, or the deployment is not yet
'round the corner.

Alex