Re: simpler prefix delegation

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Thu, 18 March 2004 12:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:51:46 -0500
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: simpler prefix delegation
Cc: Shin Miyakawa <miyakawa@nttv6.jp>, ipv6@ietf.org, skylane@etri.re.kr, erik.nordmark@sun.com, Erik.Nordmark@sun.com
Sender: ipv6-admin@ietf.org

Pekka,

We have some experience with the DHCPv6 spec that is useful in evaluating
its complexity.  There are roughly 6-10 full implementations of
DHCPv6, including prefix delegation, address assignment and stateless.

We performed interoperability testing of 6 or so implementations last year
at TAHI and Connectathon.  I summarized the test results in an I-D (which
has since expired).  We discovered no show-stopper interoperability problems
with the implementations under test.  There were 10 or 12 less significant
problems that were easily fixed with clarifications to the spec.  I think
these interoperability results compare very favorably with initial testing
of most IETF specs.  We were able to integrate those fixes into the spec
before it was published as RFC 3315.

I received no complaints from any of the implementors that the spec was "too
complicated" or "too heavyweight".  I infer from these results that the spec
is readable and useful as the basis for an implementation.  I also point out
that, depending on how you read the requirements, the DHCPv6 spec could
advance to Draft Standard today, as we have demonstrated interoperability
among multiple, independently developed implementations based on RFC3315.

Here's a complete CLI for configuring the Cicso DHCPv6 server in IOS (note
that this implementation in IOS resides in routers and does not require
a separate server):

(1)  ipv6 local pool cpepref 3FFE:501:1000::/44 48
(2)  ipv6 dhcp pool cpepool
       prefix-delegation pool cpepref
       dns-server 2002:1:1:11::1
       dns-server 2002:1:1:11::2
       domain-name cisco.com
       domain-name eng.cisco.com
(3)  interface FastEthernet0/0
       ipv6 dhcp server cpepool

The CLI sets up a pool of prefixes for delegation(1), associates the prefix
pool with other DHCPv6 server configuration information (2) and enables the
server on an interface (3).  In this example, there is no customer
identification or authentication (which is optional).  It's hard to imagine
a simpler interface...

- Ralph