Re: Fwd: IPR Notification on RFC 2462 and 2464

"James Kempf" <Kempf@docomolabs-usa.com> Fri, 04 November 2005 23:35 UTC

From: James Kempf <Kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
To: greg.daley@eng.monash.edu.au, Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:34:55 -0800
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: IPR Notification on RFC 2462 and 2464
Sender: ipv6-bounces@ietf.org

Greg,

I'm glad you've been following up on this, but there is a key point missing
I think. US Patent Law is based on litigation, not regulation. The US Patent
Office typically only conducts a cursory examination of prior art, and
unless the patent application is contested before approval, the Patent
Office rarely denies a patent unless its incorporation of prior art is
egregious. I don't know what the case is with other countries.

Disputes about the validity of patents in the US are routinely handled
through litigation. After the patent is granted, a patent holder typically
claims infringement in a letter to parties it believes are using the IPR,
attempts to extract royalties (or not if the intent is to force the parties
out of the market completely to eliminate competition), then takes the case
to court if the parties refuse to pay. Thereafter comes the long and
expensive process of litigating the patent. Most patent litigation cases are
decided for the patent holder these days, though there are occasional
exceptions.

The upshot of this is that, as far as the law is concerned, it doesn't
really matter what the facts are with respect to prior art. If there is a
patent on some basic technology in IPv6 and the IETF or some other
organization thinks that the patent was invalidly granted, then until the
IETF or some other party is willing to go to court to contest the patent,
the patent holder is free to claim that IPR, ask for royalties, and take
whoever has implemented it and is selling it without a license to court.

The IETF could of course politely request one of the royalty-free IPR
releases it routinely asks for in cases such as this, but I am told that
some of the Open Source IPv6 stacks refuse to incorporate *any* IPRed
software, even if such releases are granted. It will be interesting to see
what they do with this particular case, since the techology is pretty deeply
embedded into IPv6. In addition, the legal status of those IPR releases is
somewhat questionable. Suppose, for example, a company holding IPR granted
such a release and the technology was widely implemented such as in this
case, then the company holding the IPR was taken over by another company
whose business model was charging for IPR. Suppose that company then
cancelled the the IPR release and started trying to extract royalties. What
would happen? Fortunately, I don't think we have to worry about such a
scenerio in this case, because the company in question is pretty large and
in no danger of being taken over.

                     jak