Re: [IPv6] draft-ietf-6man-hbh-processing WGLC comments

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 25 August 2023 08:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:52:12 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Cc: "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-6man-hbh-processing@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPv6] draft-ietf-6man-hbh-processing WGLC comments

Inline.

Btw: Is there a github ? Would make it easier to address multiple smaller
textual points individually and discuss them.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 02:10:11PM +0100, Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
> On 22/08/2023 18:32, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> > To follow up on my generic comments,
> Thanks, the comments were helpful, and the new revision will respond to
> these, and will be better for this insight.
> > a few more generic concerns:
> >
> > 1. I am worried that by constraining the document to HBH, we will have to duplicate
> >     probably all of the work for routing headers as well. It would be preferrable to
> >     see how much more work it would be to make the document address both
> >     headers that can be processed by routers along the path (HBH and routing).
> >
> >     Conceptually i think it should be easy, but textually given how the draft
> >     refers to so much detailled rfc8200 text, it might lead to equal amount of
> >     duplication of text to fix *sigh*.
>
> This could be a much bigger question.
>
> - First, I agree there are things in common - and I think key parts can be
> carried forward to any work on the routing header.

Well, if you do not want to take this on now, how about cloning and working
(at a slower pace on that second draft).

But multiple draft will just create risk of more undesirable discrepanices.

Maybe worst existing discrepancy: draft-raviolli-intarea-trusted-domain-srv6,

If we had a doc like your HBH doc for RH. Would that have avoided the problems
that draft attempts to address ? Would the authors of that draft still think it's
the safer, easier solution ?

Aka: How can we best avoid discrepancies.

IMHO: I would not want to see the process rushed at this point...

> > 2. As seen from the other threads, i think we want to move into a direction where
> >     we remove the hurdles from applications to send EH (HBH/routing). But we then
> >     need to make sure we can feel safe with that recommendations and not be beaten
> >     up by opeators to open floodgates of attacks.
> >     The draft does a good base level of asking for MUST configure (to process),
> >     but i wonder if the granularity that is specified (aka: pretty much none)
> >     is sufficient. For example, i would think that one at least wants to have
> >     ACLs to permit/deny individual option header processing, and extended ACLs
> >     at that (aka: only for TCP or UDP traffic, or based on source/dest combinations).
> >
> >     (and no, i am not paid for by Tom to create pain with ACLs that FAST would
> >      solve/remove, but pretty much those ACLs would be the cost of doing EH business
> >      without FAST. And igoring the cost by not specifying the need for them would just backfire).
>
> From my perspective, I could see configuration to allow/deny forwarding
> packets with a HBH EH and for processing individual HBH Options, and I hope
> the draft says that. Is there a need for specific text?

See above reply re. the risks at a domain edge and how well you want to harden it.

Practically speaking i think we need to think about the actual policies required
and see how to best apply them to requirements text. The one we have is very
hand waiving.

Aka: It seems we want interface level filters If we want to make an argument that
something like draft-raviolli-intarea-trusted-domain-srv6 was not needed
(assuming similarily successfully deployed, but intradomain intended HBH header
 with similar attack options for traffic from interdomain).

But we also need router - wide filter (which i think is what you may have implied,
but the text is not specific about the context of the policy).
We may also want to have src/dst filters at the edge or hop-by-hop to be able
to e.g.: distinguish intradomain from transit traffic (based on ACL recognition
of intradomain traffic as opposed to put it onto edge interface).

Wrt to the discuss re. which headers can be used in conjunction with differnt
transport protocols. I can see a lot of interaction between transport protocol
and HBH, so it would be very prudent to mandate support for extended ACL
(5-tuple filter).

Wrt. reaction: I think the draft ignores the problem, that ignoring of option
headers/options in existing routers may not work at the desired rate (not
to say linerate as i have issues with that, see prior response from me).

In this case it seems routers should be able to discard and ICMP reply to such
headers. Aka: Force senders to not insert such headers/options - or else traffic
will not make it through.

Of course, we wouldn't want such future routers, but we MUST be able to support
such existing routers.

And for example, we have a lot of history with such discarding when packet has
something routers do not like. At least we should have a SHOULD raise ICMP
errors so apps can react faster.

And then there is diagnostics, aka: counters for what type of extension header/option
was received, and what policy reaction it had.  Without that, introduction of
new HBH will just fail due to frustrated operators.

I know, we traditionally where very weak on such policy/operations aspects in our
core protocol specifications and hoped for vendors to somehow to it, and when
we where luckyl we had some MIB 20 years later for it. But that also contributed
IMHO heavily to the demise of most advanced technologies we proposed, because
they could not well be operationalized.

Cheers
    Toerless