RE: Use cases for PMTUD and PLPMTUD (was: RE: 6MAN: Adoption call on draft-hinden-6man-rfc1981bis-01)

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Mon, 08 February 2016 16:31 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Use cases for PMTUD and PLPMTUD (was: RE: 6MAN: Adoption call on draft-hinden-6man-rfc1981bis-01)
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 16:30:58 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.247.104.6]
Cc: IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>

Hi Fred,

Another point that needs to be considered is interactions with multipath. With
RFC1981(bis), the path MTU will eventually converge to the minimum MTU of
all paths that contribute to the multipath. But, with RFC4821, each path in the
multipath would need to be tested independently, i.e., per-flow and not just
per-destination path MTU probing.

Implementations might approach this by starting the RFC4821 path MTU
probing process from scratch for every new TCP connection and not cache
the MTU discovered by previous connections. It would work, but could
result in lots of probing.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com