RE: Question on draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2011-update-10.txt

shawn.routhier@windriver.com Mon, 11 October 2004 16:49 UTC

From: shawn.routhier@windriver.com
To: Sanjaya.Choudhury@marconi.com, ipv6@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:44:51 -0700
Subject: RE: Question on draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2011-update-10.txt
Sender: ipv6-bounces@ietf.org

As the editor it was not my intention that the ipv4 and ipv6 interface
tables
would be fully populated with all interfaces only those on which the ipv4 or
ipv6 protocols had been administratevly attached.  This may turn out to be
all
capable interfaces in some systems.

**

As to the difference you mention at the end of your message.  If I
understood
correctly to which statement you refer it discusses the difference between
the
interface tables from previous IPv6 mib and this mib.  In the previous mib
the ipv6ifTable attempted to replace (at least for IPv6) the ifTable.  In
the current
mib the interface tables are additional information to the ifTable.

**

If I were writing the code to handle the if and ip mibs I'd consider simply
adding
some new fields to the if structure to include the IP information.
Obviously this
may not be possible in some situations and then other implementation styles
would
need to be used.

regards,
Shawn A. Routhier