Re: Question for IPv6 w.g. on [Re: IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header issues]

Tim Enos <timbeck04@verizon.net> Tue, 08 May 2007 19:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 14:00:42 -0500
From: Tim Enos <timbeck04@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Question for IPv6 w.g. on [Re: IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header issues]

Hi Bob/all,

I advocate for option #1. IMO, the paper found by following the link below makes a good case against the use of IPv6 Routing Header Type 0:

http://www.secdev.org/conf/IPv6_RH_security-csw07.pdf.

The following I-D (perhaps among others) also succinctly delineates the potential security problems with its use:

draft-savola-ipv6-rh-ha-security-03.txt.

Whether it's the potential to reach a hidden host via a visible one, the ability to use reflection to launch a DoS attack, or other security issues as noted both on this list and the above referenced papers (and others), deprecation of Routing Header Type 0 (aka option #1) is best.

The implicit curriculum of #2 and #3 really seems to be that RH0 processing can be enabled. Also, to me it seems that #4 just gives us slightly less of a bad thing. Even workarounds such as ingress filtering with properly configured ACLs could also technically be used by an attacker.

I would also prefer that RH0 be silently dropped but could live with an ICMPv6 error message being sent back to the sending host (error messages are rate-limited). Not processing but forwarding RH0 does not seem to make sense.

Best Regards,

Timothy Enos
Rom 8:28