RE: FW: New Version Notification for draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack-00.txt

"Hosnieh Rafiee" <ietf@rozanak.com> Tue, 26 November 2013 17:13 UTC

From: Hosnieh Rafiee <ietf@rozanak.com>
To: 'Ray Hunter' <v6ops@globis.net>
Subject: RE: FW: New Version Notification for draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack-00.txt
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:12:47 +0100
Cc: 'marcelo bagnulo braun' <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>, 'Derek Atkins' <DAtkins@mocana.com>, ipv6@ietf.org

Hi Ray,

> Hosnieh Rafiee wrote:

> > Here you go! Sorry for typos or bad organization since I wrote it so
fast. The

> next versions will be better.

> > BTW, as I explained in my previous message, you can bombard me with too

> many emails but please do not expect immediate answer for the next 3

> upcoming days since I will have limited internet access.

> > -----------smile----------

> > Hosnieh

> > A new version of I-D, draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack-00.txt

> > has been successfully submitted by Hosnieh Rafiee and posted to the IETF

> repository.

> > Filename:     draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack

> > Revision:      00

> > Title:                               Possible Attack on
Cryptographically Generated Addresses

> (CGA)

> > Creation date:            2013-11-25

> > Group:                          Individual Submission

> > Number of pages: 7

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rafiee-6man-cga-

 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack-00.txt> >
attack-00.txt

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack-00>
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-6man-cga-attack-00

> > Abstract:

> >    This document describes the new vulnerabilities with the use of

> >    Cryptographically Generated Addresses.

> I have read this draft and RFC3972.

> I agree the CGA information will match in the case mentioned, and thus it
is

> possible to make CGA verification succeed for two different hashes for two

> different values of sec (one with lower sec value being easier to generate

> than the other).

> But didn't we know that already?

NO, as far as I know, up to now everybody thought that it is not possible to
attack CGA with lower sec value while CGA node uses higher sec value. We
knew that it is faster to break CGA sec value 0. We also thought that it
would take 2^59 but this is not true too based on Birthday paradox attack.

> Does this have more to do with how/where CGA is applied or misapplied?

It is the problem of both CGA specification and also its combination with
NDP specifications

> Since the 3 bits of the sec level are copied from the IID, won't any
mismatch in

> the sec value used to create the hash be picked up by a simple comparison
of

> the received IID with the machines local IID in the case of DAD?

The CGA node retrieve sec value from the source IP address of the attacker
and not from his own packet and do not get it from his own. The following
sentence is after step 4 that already the victim node retrieved the source
IP address from the attacker's packet.

   5. Read the security parameter Sec from the three leftmost bits of

      the 64-bit interface identifier of the address.  (Sec is an

      unsigned 3-bit integer.)

The novelty of this attack is that the CGA node has different sec value than
the attacker node so the attacker node always use sec value 0 disregard to
the sec value of the CGA node. Before I explained that the sec value is
retrieved from the attacker source IP address and the target and source IP
are not compared which makes this attack possible. This means, the sec value
does not help the security of the CGA node. One of student helped us and
wrote the attacking code, right now it is multicore code but he is going to
also convert it to GPU code. I will share the code as soon as I arrive to my
destination and have a chance to upload on the institute's server. (receive
to my destination) .

Smile,

Hosnieh