Re: Reserved interface identifier registry

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Wed, 30 May 2007 07:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 10:32:08 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Reserved interface identifier registry

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Suresh Krishnan wrote:
>  Some RFCs (I know of at least 2, RFC2526 and RFC4214) reserve a set of
> interface identifiers on all prefixes. These identifiers need to be excluded
> when a node autoconfigures an address. This problem occurs with privacy
> addresses but is equally applicable to other address assigment methods like
> dhcpv6, cga etc. As Bernie suggested in a mail it would be good to maintain a
> list of such identifiers. This is possible by either listing the currently
> assigned IIDs in a document, or by creating an IANA registry. The former is
> useful if there will be no such allocations in the future and the later is
> useful if there will be future allocations. I have written a draft regarding
> this and I was wondering if the wg considers this to be useful work worth
> pursuing. I would also like to know if there are any other RFCs/drafts which
> depend on using specific IIDs.

I only now read draft-krishnan-ipv6-reserved-iids-00.txt.

I will note that the draft proposed establishing an IID registry, but
AFAICS doesn't specify that these must be excluded from
auto-configuration or other such functions.  Or is such "exclude IIDs
listed in the registry" specification expected to happen in the
future, in revised protocol specifications?

That was a main open issue I saw in the (short) draft.

It would also have been useful if there had been more text to give
guidance to the designated expert on in which cases it would be OK to
accept a registration.  As the draft cites 'exceptional
circumstances', maybe a higher bar (e.g., IETF consensus or Standards
action) would also be possible.