[6MAN] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-02.txt

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Tue, 21 February 2012 17:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:56:17 +0100
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
Subject: [6MAN] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-02.txt

I have read draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-03. I support this work. Thanks.

Some comments.

1) I find Section 4.3 unsatisfactory. In highly-mobile devices, the
status "single-homed" and "only one upstream line" is time dependent. A
highly-mobile device may have a semi-permanent 4G uplink, and a
temporary wifi uplink dependent on the user's current location. Whether
a new Address Selection Policy table is installed or not should not
depend primarily on the order that the interfaces are brought up.

2) Suggest splitting transport of policy/configuration information from
actual use of the policy/configuration information by the end node. I'm
thinking of how routers may have multiple sources of routing information
(derived from various sources: static, RIPng, OSPFv3) but they may only
install subsets of the total known information into the single active
forwarding table using local policy configuration concepts such as
Administrative Distance and locally defined route filters.

3) MIF RFC 6419 identifies that address selection and interface
selection mechanisms are not consistently applied across various
implementations.

Humbly suggest adding an Informative Reference, whilst leaving solving
such selection and consistency problems to the MIF WG.

4) MIF RFC 6418 defines the concepts of "Provisioning Domain" &
"Administrative Domain"

Humbly suggest adding an Informative Reference and adopting this
terminology in your draft.

5) DHCPv6 RFC 3315 Section 16 states "a client .. SHOULD send the
message through the interface for which configuration information is
being requested."

Since a highly-mobile node may communicate with multiple (inconsistent)
sources of DHCPv6 information via different interfaces, depending on the
selected DHCPv6 server(s)/ relays, and which interfaces are active at
any particular time, is it worth discussing a mechanism to track the
provenance of the received "node-global information"?

I think it may be useful to be able to tag DHCPv6 derived
policy/configuration information (such as the Address Selection Policy
table) with a provenance, so that an end node may associate the
configuration/ policy information learned from an interface/DHCPv6
server combination with a "Provisioning Domain" and/or "Administrative
Domain."

Otherwise how do you know which Address Selection Policy table is
appropriate to install/ de-install as the active table as each interface
goes up/down?

And if the MIF WG defines a way of selecting a Provisioning Domain, the
Address Selection Policy info learned via DHCPv6 will already be
appropriately tagged (before being processed/installed into any active
node-global table).

regards,
RayH